Approach to Learning
We teach phonics through real books.
The Phonics Fairy visits every day, which the children love.
Tricky Troll helps the children to learn tricky words.
Together, we ensure that children become passionate readers with a real understanding about why they need to learn sounds.
Children are encouraged to become confident, enthusiastic, critical and independent readers. They will have opportunities to read for information, interest and enjoyment. We achieve this through:
- Having a ’20 minute reading pledge’, where teachers and parents agree to read to their child for 10 minutes each day.
- Hosting special events like ‘Book and Biscuit’
- Uploading a daily bedtime story
- Providing access to ‘Oxford Reading Buddy’ which is an ebook account
- Providing ‘Book Talk’ sessions in KS1. This is a systematic way to teach reading strategies
- Committing to listening to all children read at least once a week
- Using ‘reading friends’ to teach children strategies to improve their reading skills
- Providing a full, exciting library
Children are taught to be independent, enthusiastic and expressive writers, who are able to write in a meaningful way. We achieve this by:
- Providing a hook for children based on firsthand, wow experiences that are linked to our themes
- Providing opportunities to collaborate with others, using Talk for Writing
- Using drama to help generate ideas and to inspire
- Ensuring children have the opportunity to write at length
- Scaffolding writing with FANTASTICs – 9 reasons for writing
Our mathematics curriculum is mostly taught separately as a stand-alone subject using a project-based approach. The focus is on understanding mathematical concepts and developing critical thinking and reasoning, whilst building a knowledge of basic number skills. We achieve this by:
- Ensuring maths teaching relates to everyday life
- Encouraging children to become self regulatory learners; assessing their own and peers’ work against clear mathematical goals
- Ensuring lessons are well structured and sequenced so that children are able to work towards mastery
- Providing well chosen and purposeful resources