Ethos and Values-based education
Our ethos illustrates our shared values and standards. At St James we celebrate each child so that they are happy children with a positive sense of well-being. We provide a bright, welcoming, safe, secure and stimulating environment enabling children to be the best that they can be.
- To provide an inclusive and inspiring environment where learning is fun.
- To ensure every child is inspired to achieve their full potential.
- To provide opportunities for every child to use initiative so that they can take responsibility and ownership of their own learning.
- To put well-being at the heart of everything we do so that children demonstrate integrity as they take their next steps.
- To nurture involvement in the community.
Values education is not a standalone subject; it is an approach to quality teaching and learning, it aims to raise achievement and encourage children to be self-disciplined as active learners. It underpins everything; from our organisation to the development of good relationships, skills for life and promoting positive attitudes and behaviours.
Bramble, our school mascot, is used as a teaching aid to encourage children to adhere to our values, ethos and positive behaviour policy. He is a daily reminder of our high standards and also promotes the importance of creativity. Bramble is helped by a family of bears; our Value Bears. They all have their own personal values which they share with the children.
- We want children to leave St James who:
- Are friendly and positive and able to show co-operation.
- Are kind and understanding and able to show tolerance.
- Are honest and able to take responsibility.
- Are imaginative and show creativity.
- Are caring and able to show empathy.
- Who are resilient and determined and able to persevere.
I am friendly and positive.
I show co-operation.
I am kind and understanding.
I show tolerance.
I am honest.
I show responsibility.
I am caring.
I show empathy
I am resilient and determined.
I show perseverance.